Planning to decorate your home with portraiture is a journey of discovery
into the limitless design possibilities offered by this dramatic medium.
It begins with a planning session at which you and the photographer or
design consultant explore your ideas and discuss creative possibilities.
Key Points To Remember
- The portrait's overall color theme should blend with or complement
the room's color palette.
- Keep in mind the decorative intent of the room in which you plan to
display your portrait when you consider its style. This will help to set
the portrait's tone and guide you in selecting appropriate clothing, accessories,
- An appropriately sized portrait is one that dominates the space in
which it is hung, but does not appear to be crowding that space. Be sure
to establish whether the space lends itself better to a vertical or horizontal
- Framing provides "the finishing touch" to fine portraiture.
Select a frame that complements the image and accents the room's furnishings,
not one that distracts from the subject matter.
- Whether your portrait is an accessory or the room's focal point placement
is critical. All elements of design - color, style, composition, and size
- must work together to complete the decorative statement..